Photoblog originating from Gloucestershire, England.



September Is Mostly A Summer Month


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



I would like to take the opportunity (for no other reason than I am a complete and utter lunatic) to point out that, although a most people seam to think of September as an Autumn month, it is in fact mostly a summer month.

A lot of people (including me) are lead to assume that the Autumn starts in September, because that's when kids go back to school for their "Autumn Term", beginning a new school year. However, strictly speaking, Autumn doesn't officially begin until September 21st, meaning that Summer continues until September 20th.

The reason for this is because of the temperature of the oceans. It is this, NOT the amount of sunlight, which apparantly defines our seasons.

The amount of sunlight goes like this (approx - dates vary slightly from year to year):

Winter Solstice - December 21st (least daylight)
Spring Equinox - March 21st (days and nights equal)
Summer Solstice - June 21st (most daylight)
Autumn Equinox - September 21st (days and nights equal)

If the seasons were to go according to the sunlight, these dates would be the middle of their seasons. They are in fact the beginning, because the oceans (and therefore the air around you) is behind by about a month and a half.

It is for this reason why I love spring so much, because you get such lovely warm sunshine, yet the air is still cool. I wish it could be spring all the time. In fact, I want to create a planet called the Spring Planet, where me and Dane could live, and some naked women could walk around, and we could ride giraffes and fly hang gliders off cliffs and land in lakes with underwater tunnels which lead to secret caves where a man in a silly hat talks backwards with his squirrel. Yes.

Yes.

|

My Other Blog: Tell the Sky

About me

  • I'm Marcus
  • From Wotton-under-Edge, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
  • My profile

Contact Me: eddykins2004@yahoo.co.uk

Previous posts

Archives

Links








    Photoblogs.org
    British Blog Directory.
    blog search directory
    VFXY Photos

    Link With Us - Web Directory


    Webfeed (RSS/ATOM/RDF) registered at http://www.feeds4all.nl
    feeds2read